Paraprofessional License Information

FEBRUARY 14, 2013 BY 

What is a Professional Educator License with Stipulations Paraprofessional Educator?
It is the license you need to be a teacher’s aide/teaching assistant/paraprofessional in an Illinois public school.  Illinois is replacing its certification system with a licensure system.  If you hold a TAS-N(Highly Qualified) teacher aide/paraprofessional approval, you will automatically receive the professional Education License with Stipulations-Paraprofessional (PLS-Paraprofessional) on 7/1/13.

Do I have to pay anything for this license?
You will not pay an application fee if you hold a TAS-N approval on 6/30/13.  You will pay a $50.00 registration fee to cover 7/1/13 to 6/30/18.

When is my registration fee due?
Your registration fee of $50.00 must be paid before the PLS-Paraprofessional License will be valid, so you should pay between July 1, 2013 and the start of the school year.  You must register your PLS- within 6 months or it will lapse.

What if I do not register my PLS-Paraprofessional?
Understanding as of 12/12/12 is that an unregistered PLS-Paraprofessional will lapse if not registered in 6 months of issuance, and you will have to pay $500 or take 9 semester hours of credit to reinstate it if you want to use it after it lapsed.

I have heard that I have to take a test to get the PLS-Paraprofessional.
If you hold a TAS-N on 6/30/13, you will receive your PLS-Paraprofessional License automatically.  You will not have to take a test to get the license nor to renew the license.

In 2018, what will I have to do to renew my PLS-Paraprofessional License?
You will pay the registration fee for the next 5 years($50.00) on ELIS, and your next renewal will be 2023.

Do I have to take classes or cpdus like teachers do to renew my license?
There are no professional development requirements for renewal for holders of PLS-Paraprofessional.

Do I come to the ROE to renew my license?
The ROE can assist you, but all transactions will be online on ELIS starting 7/1/13.

What happens if I have TA or TAS, but not TAS-N.
You will receive a TA approval and will be able to work in non-Title I positions.  This approval will not expire and does not need to be registered.  No TA or TAS approvals will be issued to new applicants after 6/30/13.

How will I be able to get a PLS-Paraprofessional after 7/1/13?
You will apply online on ELIS.  You will need an official transcript showing an associate’s degree or higher and a $75 application fee, payable by credit card only.

What if I don’t have a bachelor’s degree or higher?
You can take and pass the Work Keys informational reading, math, and business writing exam or the ETS para-pro exam and provide proof of high school graduation, or you can qualify with 60 semester hours and proof of high school graduation.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: